Arnott Young Query

For all things Clyde-related
Clydebuilt1971

Arnott Young Query

Post by Clydebuilt1971 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:00 pm

A work colleague Mark O'Rourke, sent me the pic below of him at AY's circa 1978. He asked me if I knew the ID of the sunken vessel in the basin. She looks quite tug like.

Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Arnott Young 1978.JPG
Arnott Young - 1978 (M O'Rourke)

Angus Mac Kinnon

Re: Arnott Young Query

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Mon May 13, 2013 4:20 pm

Unable to help with this one, I'm afraid. Arnott Young managed the Troon facility from 1938 through 1977 but have no knowledge of such a vessel ending up at the Troon facility. At first sighting, a tugboat does come to mind, but in retrospect I think she is more likely to be a small coasting steamer with that beam.
Angus Mac Kinnon

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Mon May 13, 2013 9:27 pm

This must be Dalmuir not Ayr? The Polish freighter GENERAL SIKORSKI arrived there for breaking on 30/05/1978. Looks as though no serious work done on her in this photo.
The sunken vessel looks to me more like a pilot launch, port health vessel or similar, rather than a tug. Such users tended to use buff funnels.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

davidwat

Post by davidwat » Mon May 13, 2013 10:09 pm

The sunken vessel is the Torch, the retired lighthouse tender for the Clyde Lighthouses Trust. She developed a leak and sank while waiting to be broken up. A sad end to a fine wee ship.
david watson

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Mon May 13, 2013 11:29 pm

davidwat wrote:The sunken vessel is the Torch, the retired lighthouse tender for the Clyde Lighthouses Trust. She developed a leak and sank while waiting to be broken up. A sad end to a fine wee ship.
Thanks, Sir, that's it - should have realised that as I knew about her sinking, and her wheelhouse fits. She was a great wee workhorse around the Clyde. Twin-screw compound steam engines and hull, by Ailsa Shipbuilding (Troon) in 1924, for Trustees of Clyde Lighthouses for servicing lights and buoys. Changed over to Clyde Port Authority around mid-60s. Broken up at Dalmuir by W.H. Arnott Young & Company, Shipbreakers.
Angus Mac Kinnon

Colin Campbell

Post by Colin Campbell » Tue May 14, 2013 8:34 am

Stand to be corrected here,but

Seem to recall at a Shiplovers meeting long time ago that" brass portholes from the Torch are,(or perhaps used to be) ,on the present Waverley"

Perhaps someone more in the know! Might be able to confirm

Colin Campbell

Clydebuilt1971

Post by Clydebuilt1971 » Tue May 14, 2013 11:06 am

Thanks very much to all who responded - I've let Mark know and also sent him the link to the vessel's record in the CBDB.

Gav

davidwat

Post by davidwat » Tue May 14, 2013 2:13 pm

Don't know about the port holes, but my mother was presented with her marine clock which hung in the dining saloon. It now hangs on the wall in my lounge, and still works.
david watson

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Tue May 14, 2013 7:13 pm

The saloon clock out of the S.S. POLITICIAN (Whisky Galore) is in my neighbour's house on Eriskay - it was salved and presented to the lady of the house as a wedding present by her future brother-in-law, whose boat the Customs & Excise commandeered for patrolling off the wreck to prevent these Uist and Barra pirates from helping themselves to the cargo. That clock still works too - like much of the golden nectar it was removed before the seawater level reached it !
Angus Mac Kinnon

Return to “CLYDE”